Holli Yeoh: Mending and Repairing Holes
Holli Yeoh: Mending and Repairing Holes
We spend too much time on our hand knits to throw them away when they get a hole. In class we'll learn about Swiss darning, stocking darning, patches and repairs, both visible and invisible. The techniques are transferrable to commercially made garments, as well.
What It's All About
We spend too much time on our hand knits to throw them away when they get a hole. In class we'll learn about Swiss darning, stocking darning, patches and repairs, both visible and invisible. The techniques are transferrable to commercially made garments, as well. Join Holli Yeoh for a three hour, hands-on repair class. You'll learn Swiss darning, stocking darning and how to use a knitted patch to repair a hole. Holli will demonstrate how to use decorative embroidery as a repair strategy and you'll try out needle felting to repair small holes as well. And to make sure you don't have any "holes" in your repair notions, RCY has made up a special repair kit for you!
About Holli Yeoh
Holli Yeoh is a Vancouver knitwear designer who has been self-publishing knitting patterns and teaching knitting techniques for well over a decade. Holli’s work appears regularly in magazines such as Vogue Knitting, Noro Knitting and Twist Collective as well as several popular books including the 60 Quick Knits series and most recently, Garter Stitch Revival, a book published by Interweave Press. Holli is also the fantastic designer behind these nine exclusive River City Yarns patterns: Feather Cardigan Wrap, the Hot Shawl, Lumberjack Mittens, Pyramid Lake Pillow, Stargazer Shawl, The Laurentian, The Lodge, The Sweater and Trade Blanket Mittens. These patterns are all available in store and on Ravelry.
- if you have one, bring a swatch from a completed project in stockinette stitch on smooth yarn (so you can see the stitches) that you are comfortable cutting, or
- If you'd like to make one, you could work up a 5 inch square swatch in a smooth yarn, preferably wool. Work in stockinette stitch with a moss or garter stitch border. (RCY has extra swatches for the class, so don't worry if you don't have one for class.)
- Some small amounts of yarn for repairs in the same weight as your swatch but not in the same colour. For this class, you want to be able to see your fixes!
- Two double pointed needles in a size appropriate for the weight of yarn/swatch
- Knit (by hand or commercial) Items with holes or thin spots for a discussion on strategies for fixing them.
Suitable for beginners and beyond!
- 3 hours of instruction with a fantastic designer and skilled instructor.
- A River City Yarns' repair-on-the-go toolkit!
- The knowledge and experience you need to bring a little plaid into your knitting life!
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
This workshop may be held on our mezzanine level which is roomy but only accessible by stairs. If you have mobility issues and can't manage the stairs, please contact Cynthia: email@example.com.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).