Turkish Bed Socks
Turkish Bed Socks
The unusual heel construction is knitted flat but after the instep, the foot is worked in rounds. Clever and ingenious, it's a quick sock and great practice for knitting in the round on double-points. You won't just wear them in bed. You'll want to wear them everywhere!
What It's All About
This project is attractive to sock newbies and afficionados alike. The unusual heel construction is knitted flat, but after the instep, the foot is worked in the round, so it’s a great way to practice knitting on double-points. Plus, they’re quick to make (quicker than full socks) and are a lovely gift! In this 2-part workshop, you will learn: the “long-tail” cast on; how to pick up stitches; “mattress stitch” seaming; decreases for toe shaping; and the Kitchener stitch for grafting the toe stitches. You’ll end up with a pair of perfect house and “clog” socks – so cozy you won’t want to take them off! A copy of the pattern is included in your registration fee.
To take this class (and be successful) you must be able to knit, purl, cast on and bind off independently. You should feel comfortable working on finer needles. You need to be able to knit in the round on double pointed needles (dpns). We recommend taking the KITR: Seamless Hat class first if you haven't knit with dons before.
Choose yarn and wind into a ball, if necessary. Knit a swatch (or two) for gauge: cast on 32 stitches and work 3 inches of stocking stitch (swatch may be worked flat or in the round). Measure gauge! You want to achieve 28 sts over 4 inches. If you have too many stitches, try a slightly bigger needle. If you have too few stitches, try a smaller needle.
- fingering weight sock yarn, (175 yards is enough for a pair that fits up to women' size 10 feet).
- set of four 3.0 - 3.25mm double pointed needles (or size to obtain gauge listed on pattern). Some knitters prefer to use smaller needles for the toe of the sock for a snugger fit.
- Four hours of instruction over two weeks: short and sweet!
- A copy of the Churchmouse Yarns and Tea pattern for Turkish Bed Socks
- Reducing your learning curve dramatically (while you have fun!)
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).