Toe Up Socks
Toe Up Socks
Learn how to knit toe-up socks with completely replaceable heels and toes on circular needles. This is an excellent skill-building workshop with plenty of new techniques that will benefit experienced sock knitters as well as novice ones.
What It's All About
Over three sessions, you will learn how to knit toe-up socks with completely replaceable heels and toes on circular needles. This is an excellent skill-building workshop with plenty of new techniques that will benefit experienced sock knitters as well as novice ones. Working on one long circular needle (also known as the magic loop technique), you'll learn the Turkish Cast On, grafting seamlessly without a sewing needle and a stretchy sewn bind off that also doesn't involve sewing! You'll also work on an "afterthought heel" and practice left- and right-slanting decreases. During the workshop, we'll practice all the techniques on a small sampler sock; your homework will involve working on a "self sock" – a toe up sock in fine yarn and small (2.25mm) needles that you'll love!
This is a great class for those who have knit socks the traditional way and now want to try it from a different direction! You should be very comfortable working in the round on smaller needles (e.g. you've made socks, mittens or handwarmers in the round on dpns before). If this is your first time working a magic loop, we recommend taking the KITR: Seamless Hat Magic Loop class first.
Your sampler sock requires two colours of a small amount (partial balls will work) of a double knit or worsted weight yarn in light to mediums colours and one long circular (32" – 40") in an appropriate size for the yarn (4.0 – 4.5mm). You'll be making a sample sock first, so leftover yarn is okay. Your instructor will review the material requirements for "self socks" in the first class. An e-version of Holli Yeoh's "Tip Toe Up" sock pattern is included in your registration fee.
- 6 hours of instruction (3 weekly sessions)
- an e-version of Holli Yeoh's Tip Toe Up Sock Pattern
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).