Make a pair of cozy thrummed mittens (an east coast traditional mitten made with wool roving "thrums" on the inside for a fully insulated and warm mitten).
What It's All About
These mittens make great Christmas gifts for everyone on your list. Participants in this workshop will learn how to create and insert thrums into their knitting, while knitting in the round on double pointed needles and using basic mitten construction (e.g. knit a thumb gusset, use stitch markers, increase and decrease, put stitches on a holder.)
Using the yarn and needles that you plan to make your thrummed mittens with, please cast on 36 stitches and work 2 inches (5 cm) of stocking stitch in the round.
200–400m of a warm woolen yarn (light, medium or bulky), approximately 50g of wool/alpaca roving, a set of double pointed needles giving firm gauge in stocking stitch (half a mm size smaller than size recommended on ball band), (2) stitch markers and (optional, but helpful) one small stitch holder. Participants can also purchase the Fleece Artist Thrummed Mitten kit, which includes lovely hand painted yarn and roving. Thrummed mitten pattern included in class registration fee.
Students should know how to knit and purl in the round on double pointed needles. We recommend taking the KITR: Seamless Hat workshop prior to this workshop if you haven't used dpns before.
- Six hours of instruction over three weeks
- River City Yarns Thrummed Mitten pattern and guide
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).