Spinning Yarn on your Wheel
Spinning Yarn on your Wheel
You’ve got a spinning wheel and the desire to make your own yarn. But there’s only so much you can do with YouTube videos! Come in for a two-part introduction to spinning yarn on your wheel.
What It's All About
If you have a spinning wheel (or can borrow one) in good working order and would like to learn how to spin a basic yarn, you need to join us for this two part workshop. You'll leave with a better understanding of your wheel and skein of yarn "made from scratch".
Clear your calendar and prepare to immerse yourself in a crash course on spinning a good yarn. You'll learn the simple mechanics of operating your wheel, adding twist to fibre and spinning a "single". You'll practice at home (yes, Virginia, there is homework!) and return for part two in which we show you the secret of making a more balanced yarn through plying and setting. You'll take home your skein of yarn and more importantly, the motivation to continue to create your own special yarn. River City Yarns will provide you with a materials kit so you don't have to go out and sheer any sheep or alpaca. Our instructor, Brenda Blair, is an experienced spinner and teacher with a great sense of humour and an abundance of patience. River City Yarns will provide wool tops for you to spin into yarn.
This workshop is designed for those who would like to learn how to spin on a spinning wheel. You may have no previous experience but you will need to bring with you a spinning wheel that is in good working order. If you are not sure about your wheel (i.e. you inherited or bought your wheel second hand) please contact Cynthia for a pre-class consultation.
Prior to class, you should do a little research on your wheel. If possible, please be able to identify your make and model. We will be reviewing the parts of the wheel in class, so if you have an opportunity to locate a diagram or list of specification on your wheel, please bring that with you to class. Getting to know your wheel better is an outcome of this workshop!
A spinning wheel in good working order and four bobbins for your wheel. Wheels with "problems" will need to be sorted out prior to this workshop. Please contact Cynthia if you need assistance or have questions/concerns about your wheel.
Receiving a spinning wheel as a wedding gift from her husband, Brenda first learned to spin in Cold Lake, AB. Between the roar of fighter jets and the call of loons Brenda quickly discovered the appeal of creating her own yarn. Brenda developed her taste for merino (and chocolate covered biscuits) in Sydney, Australia as part of the Epping Weavers, Embroiderers and Spinners (EWES) Guild. Brenda not only likes to spin but enjoys showing others how it is done. She has spent many hours in schools demonstrating her art and currently resides and teaches knitting, crochet and spinning classes in Calgary.
- 5 hours of instruction over 2 days;
- "rustic yarn" to practice spinning and plying with.
- 1 - 50 gram "bump" of natural combed top
- 1 - 50 gram "bump" of coloured combed top
- 1 - 50 gram "bump" of contrasting coloured combed top
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
This workshop may be held on our mezzanine level which is roomy but only accessible by stairs. If you have mobility issues and can't manage the stairs, please contact Cynthia: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).