Flax (Top-Down) Sweater
Flax (Top-Down) Sweater
First sweater project? This is the class for you! Flax is a free pattern from our friends at Tin Can Knits and we love it! This sweater is knit in the round (no seams) in a worsted (medium) weight yarn, has raglan sleeves with a nice bit of garter stitch detail that gives this fairly simple pattern some interest and texture.
What It's All About
First sweater project? This is the class for you! Flax is a free pattern from our friends at Tin Can Knits and we love it! This sweater is knit in the round (no seams) in a medium weight yarn, has raglan sleeves with a nice bit of garter stitch detail that gives this fairly simple pattern some interest and texture. Over three weekly sessions, you'll learn how to: plan your increases, knit garter stitch in the round, use stitch markers, count rows, measure gauge, park stitches, cast on in the middle of your work, bind off in pattern, put stitches back on your needles, paired decreases and finishing techniques. During our weekly class sessions, you'll work on a baby size sweater (6-12 mo) to get all the techniques down. After class or between classes, you can work on a bigger sweater (the Tin Can Knits patterns include sizing from newborn baby to large adult (7 child and 10 adult sizes).
Students should know how to knit in the round on double pointed needles and on a circular needle. We recommend taking the Seamless Hat (Knit in the Round) workshop prior to this workshop if you haven't used dpns before.
Using smaller circular needles, cast on 62 stitches, place a marker and join for working in the round. Establish 1 x 1 ribbing: (k1, p1) around. Work in ribbing as established (knit the knits and purl the purls) until piece measures 1 inch from cast on.
- download and print a free copy of the Flax pattern by Tin Can Knits. We recommend making a copy that you can write on.
- 300 yards of a worsted weight yarn. We recommend: Estelle Worsted, RCY Epic, Rowan Pure Wool Worsted and Malabrigo Rios. (We have a great selection of worsted weight yarns. Come in and ask us for more suggestions).
- 4.0mm and 4.5mm knitting needles in 16" circulars and double-pointed needles.
- approximately 10 stitch markers, a darning needle and waste yarn.
- 6 hours of instruction over three weeks to make the sweetest little sweater, ever!
- pro tips and helpful ideas to improve your knitting skills
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).