Fiona Ellis: Rosalind Cowl/KAL Kickoff
Fiona Ellis: Rosalind Cowl/KAL Kickoff
Get expert advice and knit a sample to get everything right (from colour choices to gauge). Learn about blocking, sizing, adjustments and colour knitting. Then cast on your version of Rosalind, with confidence!
What It's All About
Is the Rosalind colourwork cardigan calling to you? We love the asymmetrical placement of the colour work design and the choice of colours that Fiona picked for the original. Our challenge to you is to make it your own! Place the colour work design where you want it and pick out a colour combo that works for your personality and wardrobe. Get advice and learn about fit, garment shape and adjustments.
In this 3 hour workshop, Fiona will help you choose a four-colour combo and you'll begin a swatch that will transform into an exclusive "Rosalind Cowl" while you work on gauge, chart reading and colour work. Fiona will discuss the sweater design with you: from colour choices to placement of the colour work. She will also teach you tips for making your colour work look its best. At the same time, you'll be test knitting your colour combination and finding out if your gauge is working and what you need to do if it isn't. A yarn kit and exclusive patterns are included in your registration fee.
When this class is finished, you’ll be ready to cast on Rosalind. And, if you do - join us. We’ll follow up your awesome start with a Knit-a-Long (KAL) to give you moral support along the way.
About Fiona Ellis
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. Her designs are available in leading magazine publications including on-line at Twist Collective. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits as well as three exclusive designs for River City Yarns: Lucky Mitts, Rosalind and Top Shelf Toppers. You can find out what she is currently doing at www.fionaellisonline.com—check out her blog post on the 9th of each month.
Using a provisional cast on method and a smooth waste yarn, cast on 160 sts onto a 5.0mm/16 - 24 in circular needle.
- your prework (see above) and two sets of circulars: 4.5mm and 5.0mm in 16 - 24 inch length,
- 2-4 locking stitch markers,
- blunt ended sewing needle
- Knitter's tool kit (scissors, measuring tape)
- Notebook/paper and pencil
Advanced Beginner: you know how to knit in the round on both circular and double pointed needles (hats, mittens, socks). You have completed projects independently, following a pattern. It is helpful, but not a requirement, if you have some experience with stranded colour work and reading charts.
- 3 hours of instruction with a fantastic designer and skilled instructor;
- the knowledge and experience you need to feel confident about a colour work sweater project;
- a four colour Epic yarn kit for the Rosalind Cowl;
- an exclusive workshop pattern; and
- a professionally printed, full colour edition of the Rosalind pattern. (If you already have a print copy, let us know and we'll purchase the electronic version for you instead).
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
This workshop may be held on our mezzanine level which is roomy but only accessible by stairs. If you have mobility issues and can't manage the stairs, please contact Cynthia: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).