Fiona Ellis: Finishing with Finesse
Fiona Ellis: Finishing with Finesse
The final touches can be the most important part of creating a beautiful hand knit. Join Fiona in this finishing class to learn how to add some finesse to your project during the finishing process.
What It's All About
Hands-up those of you who hate finishing! Now try thinking of it as a fun part of the project rather than a chore. In this workshop Fiona will demo, and then let you practice, several ways you can add some finesse to your project during the finishing process. These will include adding a knitted-on I-cord, 3 needle bind off for seaming and simple crochet edges. She will also cover a few of the basic techniques to allow you to become practice perfect, these will include, grafting stitches, mattress stitch and setting in a zipper.
About Fiona Ellis
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. Her designs are available in leading magazine publications including on-line at Twist Collective. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits as well as three exclusive designs for River City Yarns: Lucky Mitts, Rosalind and Top Shelf Toppers. You can find out what she is currently doing at www.fionaellisonline.com—check out her blog post on the 9th of each month.
Knit two swatches: Using a medium (worsted) weight yarn and 4.5 or 5.0mm needles, cast on 28 sts and work approximately 10cm (4in) of stockinette stitch. Leave work on needle and bring to class.
- 2 part balls (a few metres each) of medium weight yarns in different colours;
- 4.5 or 5.0mm knitting needles (you'll need three of them: "a pair plus a spare". Three straights or one circular plus a straight or two circulars.) And a pair of double pointed needles (dpns) in the same (mm) size. You only need 2 dpns.
- A crochet hook in the same (mm) size as your knitting needles;
- a blunt-ended sewing needle; and
- your Knitter's tool kit (scissors, measuring tape)
- Notebook/paper and pencil
Intermediate. You have the following knitting skills mastered: casting on, knit, purl, and binding off. You have projects sitting in the closet because they didn't turn out the way you thought: scarves that curl in on the edges, squares that are not sewn together, or garments just waiting for seams to be sewn. Have you picked up stitches and then found holes? Don't like the edging that the pattern suggests? Are you a bit of a perfectionist? You have the skill level and the need for this class!
- 3 hours of instruction with a skilled designer and excellent teacher;
- hands on practice to help you through hurdles in your knitting experience; and
- the motivation to finish your languishing projects!
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- We strive to keep the cost of workshops low, so we ask that your supplies be purchased from River City Yarns.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).