Join Barb for a two-part workshop to make the fabulous Fiddlehead Mittens. You're going to learn a lot of technique and end up with a beautiful pair of lined mittens.
What It's All About
Join Barb for a two-part workshop to make the fabulous Fiddlehead Mittens. You're going to learn a lot of technique and end up with a beautiful pair of lined mittens. Get ready to make another pair... because you'll be getting requests! You'll learn about stranded colourwork (often referred to as "fair isle" style), yarn dominance and colour choices. You will also learn the special i-cord trim, read and work from charts, pick up stitches and create a mitten liner. Some finishing techniques will also be covered. An electronic copy of the pattern, Fiddlehead Mittens by Adrian Bizilia, is included in your registration fee. **Please note: the first class is 3 hours and the second class is 2 hours (you'll finish an hour earlier on the second date.)
- Yarn: The outer mitten requires two contrasting colour yarns in DK or light worsted weight. You will need approx 125 yards of the main colour and 200 yards of the contrast colour. We recommend RCY Epic, Rowan Pure Wool Worsted and/or Malabrigo Rios. The inner mitten (liner) requires approx 140 yards of a DK weight yarn. We recommend Illimani Royal Alpaca for a soft, warm lining. We also have yarn kits in great colours at the store.
- Needles: gauge is important! Please bring 3.25, 3.5 and 3.75mm for knitting in the round (double pointed needles, two circulars or "magic loop" on one long circular). If you are buying needles for this class, please buy a 3.5mm for your gauge swatch and we'll advise you on other needles after the first class.
- Notions: one stitch marker, waste yarn, tapestry needle. (Optional: bring your iPad or tablet and learn how to optimize chart reading on your electronic device.)
Experienced Knitters! You are comfortable knitting in the round on double pointed needles, two circulars or magic loop and have completed at least one pair of full mittens with thumb gussets. If you need to improve your skills, consider these RCY workshops first: KITR Seamless Hat, Marvelous Mittens, Sock Boot Camp, Toe Up Socks.
- Five hours of hands-on instruction
- Fiddlehead Mitten electronic pattern (PDF download)
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).