Learn how to insert afterthought pockets and heels in your knitting. And, yes, you'll be using scissors to put these "afterthoughts" in exactly the right place.
What It's All About
What? Create a hole in your knitting on purpose? Cut a stitch with scissors… for real? Yes! Learn how to insert “afterthought” pockets and “afterthought” heels in your knitting. It’s really the perfect way to put in a pocket: invisible on the outside and in exactly the right place. Afterthought heels in socks are completely replaceable and make sock knitting and sizing so much easier. Come in and experience the freedom of “afterthought” decisions for yourself.
If you can finish the pre-work on your own, you can take this workshop. If you need help working in the round, consider taking one of our Seamless Hat class options first.
Please come to class with two swatches completed. Use a light coloured, worsted or dk weight yarn and yarn appropriate size needles. For Swatch 2, you’ll need to knit in the round on double-pointed needles or one/two circulars.
- Swatch 1: Cast on 24 sts and work six rows in garter stitch, work a further 4 inches (from cast on edge) in stockinette and finish with six more rows of garter stitch. Bind off. Wash your swatch and lay flat to dry.
- Swatch 2: Cast on 36 sts and join to knit in the round. Work 4 inches in stockinette and bind off. Wash your swatch and lay flat to dry.
- your pre-work swatches and the needles you used to make them. A small ball of yarn (leftover from your swatch) as well.
- 4 locking stitch markers
- sharp tip scissors
- wool needle
- a set of double pointed needles one or two sizes smaller than the needles used to make your swatch
- 2 hours of gentle instruction;
- leaving with the skills to put holes in your - on purpose!
Other important info that you should know about...
You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can pay online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
Cancellations? We know you have every intention of coming, but life happens, so we need a cancellation policy, and this is it:
- If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will refund your registration fee less a $25 administration & service fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If you are unable to attend, you may ask a friend to take your place.
- If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
- We strive to keep the cost of workshops low, so we ask that your supplies be purchased from River City Yarns.
- Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please Cynthia (see above).